This website has moved...

We have moved to www.theDailyBibleVerse.org



Isaiah 66:2 - Has not My Hand made all these things?

NIV Has not my hand made all these things,
and so they came into being?"
declares the LORD.
"This is the one I esteem:
he who is humble and contrite in spirit,
and trembles at my word.
KJV For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been, saith the LORD: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word.
NASB "For My hand made all these things,
Thus all these things came into being," declares the LORD
"But to this one I will look,
To him who is humble and contrite of spirit, and who trembles at My word.
Isaiah 66:2

Commentary

Isaiah began the final summary of his prophecy with a reminder that God is not looking for a temple of stone, since as Creator of all things, the whole universe is His dwelling place. Stephen cited this passage before the Sanhedrin to point out their error in limiting God to a temple made with hands (Acts 7:49,50). On the contrary, God is looking for a heart to dwell in, a heart that is tender and broken, not one concerned with the externalities of religion (cf. Matt. 5:3-9). God is looking to dwell in the heart of a person who takes His Word seriously (cf. 66:5; John 14:23).

MacArthur, J. J. (1997, c1997). The MacArthur Study Bible (electronic ed.) (Is 66:1). Nashville: Word Pub.

No comments: