|14 And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith. 20 But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep.|
|14 And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain. 20But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept. |
|14and if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is vain, your faith also is vain. 20 But now Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who are asleep.|
|1 Corinthians 15:14, 20|
1) preaching Christ would be senseless (v. 14);
2) faith in Christ would be useless (v. 14);
3) all the witnesses and preachers of the resurrection would be liars (v. 15);
4) no one would be redeemed from sin (v. 17);
5) all former believers would have perished (v. 18); and
6) Christians would be the most pitiable people on earth (v. 19).
MacArthur, J. J. (1997, c1997). The
(electronic ed.) (1 Co 15:13). : Word Pub."Firstfruits"
The firstfruits are the first ripened part of the harvest, furnishing actual evidence that the entire harvest is on the way. According to Lev. 23:4-14, the firstfruits in connection with the
were used to consecrate the coming harvest. Jesus died on the , and His resurrection is a promise of our own resurrection.Spirit filled life study Bible. 1997, c1991 (electronic ed.). : Thomas Nelson.