This website has moved...

We have moved to www.theDailyBibleVerse.org



Galatians 1:10 - Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God?

NIV Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.
KJV For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.
NASB For am I now seeking the favor of men, or of God? Or am I striving to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a bond-servant of Christ.
Galatians 1:10

Commentary

Paul asks, in effect, "In insisting that there is only one gospel, am I trying to please men, or God?" Obviously he is not trying to please men, because they hate the suggestion that there is only one way to heaven. If Paul changed his message to suit men, he would not be a bondservant of Christ;

MacDonald, W., & Farstad, A. (1997, c1995). Believer's Bible Commentary : Old and New Testaments (Ga 1:10). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.

"Servant" / "Bondservant"

Paul elevates this word by using it in its Heb. sense to describe a servant who willingly commits himself to serve a master he loves and respects (Ex. 21:5, 6; Gal. 1:10; Titus 1:1; cf. Gen. 26:24; Num. 12:7; 2 Sam. 7:5; Is. 53:11).

MacArthur, J. J. (1997, c1997). The MacArthur Study Bible (electronic ed.) (Ro 1:1). Nashville: Word Pub.

No comments: